What does an Altar Server do?
An Altar Server will perform these functions:
- Altar Servers assist the Celebrant during Mass by presenting the book to the Celebrant, preparing the altar before Eucharist, and assisting with sprinkling and incense rites.
- During special liturgies other duties may be assigned.
- Adults (high school students and adults) serve at the 11:00 a.m. Sunday Mass.
- Children in grades 4 through 8 serve at all other weekend Masses. St. Peter’s Academy students also serve at the 8:00 am daily mass.
What is required to become part of this ministry?
An Altar Server should be able to accept these responsibilities:
- Altar Servers will need to attend training sessions before being assigned to serve at Mass.
- Altar Servers have the desire to serve God by offering their Time and Talent in a way that enhances the beauty of each liturgy.
- An Altar Server must be responsible and commit to serve at each Mass he/she is assigned to.
- Altar Servers must arrange for substitutes if they cannot serve at a Mass that they are assigned to.
- An Altar Server should be prayerful and open to God’s working through them to enrich the liturgy for the congregation.
What is the time commitment?
- Altar Servers should be able to arrive at their scheduled Mass 15 minutes ahead of time
- Altar Servers serve every 3 to 4 weeks.
- Before serving, attendance at a training session is required.
- Altar Servers do not meet as a group on a regular basis.
For Adult Altar Servers, contact:
Martha Mulligan (201) 594-0236 or use the form below:
For Adult Altar Servers for Funerals, contact:
Deacon Paul Kazanecki (201) 261-3366 or use the form below:
For Children Altar Servers, contact:
Pui Ng (email@example.com) or use the form below: